MilkCrate helps larges groups grow their social and environmental impact. We believe in the power of large groups of people and social enterprise to make lasting change in the world. That’s why we’ve built MilkCrate for Communities, an enterprise tool that encourages, tracks and rewards sustainable activity of membership-based organizations, companies, schools and universities. We are a team of designers, engineers, and sustainability nerds dedicated to creating the most flexible and engaging tool for helping everyone grow their impact.
MilkCrate is based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We’ve nested into a lovely and slightly ancient converted factory complete with tangling twinkle lights, and a compost bucket. Our neighbors are mostly artists and fill the walls with their brilliance. And we are equidistant from the Italian Market as we are from the bustling Vietnamese food epicenter of Washington Avenue. Basically, you want to come visit us for lunch.
The name “MilkCrate” comes from the ubiquitous practice of thrifty urban dwellers attaching milk crates to the back of their bikes. This creative cargo solution perfectly symbolizes what our app is all about: repurposing, urban living, and ingenuity. Like our namesake’s function, the MilkCrate app is a container for living a purposeful and impactful life.
MilkCrate for Communities is essentially a premium version of the My MilkCrate app. MilkCrate for Communities Users (see below) will unlock the premium version through an invitation link sent by their community’s administrator. The My MilkCrate content, such as the business directory and the events calendar will be available in the premium version. The major difference is the point earning gamification feature and metrics and analytics around user activity.
- Our Clients: We work with groups big and small to provide the MilkCrate for Communities platform and services to engage their people in impactful behavior. Clients are businesses, nonprofits, schools or even residential management companies that have a few hundred or even a few thousand people.
- MilkCrate Users: These are individuals that have downloaded a version of our app. In order to access content and earn points they need a community code to unlock that client’s version of the app. Users only get access to this code if a community they are a part of hired us to provide this service, as a Community Client.
- Sustainable Business Directory: Over the years MilkCrate has built a sustainable business directory in 20+ lifestyle categories, everything from farm-to-table restaurants to bike shops. Around 90% of these listings came from data partnerships. The other listings were independently submitted through our website.
- Data Partners: Membership-based organizations that we partner with share with us the businesses that have met their criteria/joined their organization and we list them in our directory free of charge. The organization’s logo serves as a ‘badge’ on the business listing’s profile page.
- Third Party Client: These are companies that are listed in our directory that provide a service, experience or product that they want to promote to our users (both free and premium).
Each business or organization profile page will display at least one “badge,” a logo indicating how it made its way to the database. This is a transparency tool for you as a user to understand what aspects of the company are sustainable. For instance, if the business is part of one of our member-based nonprofit partner organizations, i.e. B Corporation, it will boast the B Corp logo. If a business was submitted through our website, it will display our MilkCrate logo. Be sure to click each badge to learn more!
The points and rewards system is only available in the MilkCrate for Communities platform. Are you a part of a community? Check with your workplace, school or nonprofit organization to ensure they’ve heard of the program. Click here to send them an informational email.